Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Look Forward


The other day I was walking to work and thinking about a lot of things. At one point I began balancing on a curb. I was struck with the realization that as I looked down right in front of me or down at my feet, I began to wobble and had to step down off the curb. But, as I looked up and forward towards the end of the curb, I could stay on course, even though the curb was a little curvy. Many of you can probably relate to a similar phenomenon while driving a car. But as I walked along this curb, I realized that it is a lot like life. the road may be a little windey, and if we focus on that bend in the road and forget to think about all we have in store in the future, we're gonna fall off. BUT if we look forward toward our end goal, it becomes surprisingly easy to stay balanced. It is important to live life in the present rather than the past, but isn't it just as bad to forget about the future? If we become so stuck on the here and now, it is sometimes harder to be happy, especially if the here and now means a lot of difficulty and heartache. We get so wrapped in trying to figure out what to do with out lives right now, that the bug picture is overlooked. I am definitely someone who does this a lot. I think that because great things aren't happening for me right now, that they never will. However, I know that my Heavenly Father has given me promises I can count on and He will take care of me. And I have so much time left and so many opportunities to live through! I was thinking of some things like these and some other things I am going through as I read my scriptures the other day and ran across Alma 36:3:
"And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their atrust in God shall be supported in their btrials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be clifted up at the last day."
In a previous seminary class, I had crossed out the words "O my son Helaman" and replaced them with "daughter" and my own name. For me, it was exactly what I needed to hear. I felt like Heavenly Father was saying to me personally, "Kazhia. You are still young and you just need to trust that I know what is coming for you and I am in control." Which is a scary thing to do. To just blindly trust that things will work out. That there is a being so omnipotent that He knows exactly what is coming up in my life and knows that I can handle it. But its true. I have felt His love and influence enough in my life to know that  He knows when and where the best timing and place is for me to experience everything. I am so excited to live though everything He has in store for me. I still get to go through the temple and learn so much from those ordinances. I have the opportunity to vicariously partake of those ordinances for my ancestors. I get to someday be sealed to a loving husband (who is still somewhere out there, unknown to me. Haha), and I will get to receive the blessing of raising some of Heavenly Father's beloved children as my own and watch their lives pan out. And there are so many other things that the Lord has in store for me. Probably death and illness, more heartache on the way to finding that E.C. (haha excuse my Provo abbreviations..), financial struggles, loss of friends, and so many other yet to be had trials. But I look forward, even to these events in my life. Because I know I won't be living through them alone. I have so many amazing people that surround me. I have an entire family who wants me to be happy. And in top of all this I have my Savior who lived and died that I might be able to share in His joy someday. Why look down at my feet when I could see all these amazing lessons I get to learn in the future? Basically, I like to think of the quote from Walt Disney. Of course its the one at the end of Meet the Robinsons (love it!):
“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. Wekeep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
I hope that I can continue to face my challenges with this attitude. Without looking backward, but forward, my eyes set on my goals with the courage to dive into new things and to do the hard things that will teach me the most. I can't wait to see what new paths I will find! Life is so good!

1 comment:

  1. Awe! Kazhia!I love reading your blog. It makes me mucho happio. And you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete